Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Big Surgery

Well everyone, the time has come for my big surgery. I went today and did my pre-op at the Dr.'s office and the hospital. The doctor advised that he will be taking the cervix, uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries, all the lymph nodes (which I just thought he was doing biopsies on), and of course the other mass they found I like to call Osama Bin Tumor. My team of navy seals will be going in to get him tomorrow. The doctor also advised that there is a possibility that they will have to go back in after this surgery so that was a bummer to hear.

My Baptist pre-op was interesting, to say the least. Sitting in the little waiting room and watching what was taking place led me to believe it would be a rough attempt at getting blood work done today. I am not an "easy stick" as I have been told but this nurse... So she attempted, very painfully, to get blood. As she stood there with the needle in my hand for the second time, rolling it around to hit the vain she decided she was done and raised her white flag. This was a great decision on her part as I was just about to ask for someone else. So in comes the nurse manager who was able to get it the first time and not nearly as painful! Finally after an hour and a half of pre-op I was done and walked out to the waiting room. I must have looked a hot mess with all 3 of my band-aides on because my mom asked me who won. Needless to say, if this particular nurse comes in to do my IV I will have to insist on anyone else.

I wanted to let everyone know that I found out in my last appointment that when we women go to our yearly pap smears they test for cervical cancer but not uterine. You have to request it or be having symptoms in order for them to check for uterine. This seems to be a huge disservice to women considering if we wait until we are having symptoms the chances of us already having some form of uterine cancer is highly likely. Please make sure you pass this information on to all the women in your life.  

I will be in the hospital until either Saturday or Sunday and I will post again after I am home and lucid. Again, I appreciate all the well wishes, prayers and dinners people have volunteered to bring. Please also be praying for another woman who is around my age and in there for the same exact thing. Her name is Jessica and I met her today at pre-op. She is very nervous about tomorrow and has other things that she has had to deal with that have come up with all her testing. Thank you again!
Molly

4 comments:

  1. This by far was the post that I found the funniest and wow are you and I alike! I love that your sense of humor has not left you, keep on smiling!

    Trying to leave you alone during your hospital stay, but once you get home and have that device in your hand I'll be talking to you.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, im SO happy you have found your sense of humor again!!...it WILL help you get through things! And THANKS for educating us women!!..you know i will be spreading the word!! ...Love and miss you!!!! STAY STRONG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Molly - I'm new to blogs (and even facebook believe it or not) but I did read your blog and I just wanted to tell you I'm praying for you. I think of you as the very young person you were back at Abiding Christ - but you are still young to have to be dealing with all of this. Count me among those who will be cheering you on in your "battle". Hope your recovery is speedy and smooth. Pastor Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Molly, I found your blog via a friend. I am 10 weeks out from my total hysterectomy and I wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you. The road to recovery is full of bumps, twists, and turns, but you can do it. I never thought that I would have this surgery and it has come with many issues that I never expected, but they were all good. Also, I see that you are here in Jacksonville. I am not sure who you are seeing, by South East Gynecology/Oncology did mine (Dr. Nowicki) and if you are seeing them, they are incredible. All of my love and prayers for a speedy recovery and for the battle ahead. XOXOXO Mary

    ReplyDelete